The Van Allen Probes
The Van Allen Probes are two satellites which are orbiting the Earth in order to study the Van Allen Radiation Belts (thus the name). As the BARREL mission was a mission of opportunity in tandem with the Van Allen Probes. Although BARREL was a stand alone mission, much of our science was greatly helped by putting it into perspective of what was seen in situ by the Van Allen Probes. I like to think hat BARREL provided (and continues to provide) the same service to the Van Allen team! So many great discoveries about the dynamics of the radiation belts has come out of these two satellites which were inspired by CRRES and other missions.
List of publications and presentations associated with the Van Allen Probes project:
- Association Between EMIC Wave Occurrence and Enhanced Convection Periods During Ion Injections, B. Remya et al 2020, GRL
- Generation of EMIC waves and Effects onParticle Precipitation During a Solar Wind Pressure Intensification with Bz>0, Marc Lessard et al 2019, JGR
- On the Contribution of EMIC Waves to the Reconfiguration of the Relativistic Electron Butterfly Pitch Angle Distribution Space on 2014 September 12- A Case Study, C. Medeiros et al 2019, The Astrophysical Journal
- The Evolution of a Pitch-Angle "Bite-Out" Scattering Signature Caused by EMIC Wave Activity: A Case Study, L. Bingly et al 2019, JGR.
- EMIC waves and associated relativistic electron precipitaiton on 25-26 January 2013 - J. Zhang, A.J. Halford, A. Saikin, C-L Haung, H. Spence, B. Larsen, G. Reeves, R. Millan, C. Smith, R.Torbert, W. Kurth, C. Kletzig, J. Blake, J. Fennel, D. Baker, (2016) JGR
- BARREL observations of a solar energetic electron and solar energetic proton event - A.J. Halford, S.L. McGregor, M.K. Hudson, R.M. Millan, B.T. Kress, (2016) JGR
- Fall AGU 2015 Summary of precipitation events observed by BARREL during storms. PDF
- Space balloons and charged particles above the Arctic Circle - A. J. Halford
- Global-scale coherence modulation of radiation-belt electron loss from plasmaspheric hiss - Breneman, A., A.J. Halford, R. Millan, M. McCarthy, J. Fennel, J. Sample, L. Woodger, G. Hospodarsky, J.R. Wygant, C.A. Cattell, J. Goldstien, D. Malaspina, C.A. Kletzing, (2015) Nature
- BARREL observations of an ICME-Shock impact with the magnetosphere and the resultant radiation belt electron loss. - Halford, A.J., S. McGregor, K. Murphy, R.Millan, M. Hudson, L. Woodger, C. Cattell, A. Breneman, I.R. Mann, W. Kurth, G.Hospodarsky, M. Gkioulidou, J. Fennell, (2015) JGR
- Keene Library/Astronomical society lecture Painting the Sky: The Northern Lights
- My google hangout talk "Space Balloons and Killer Electrons" at the University of Central Arkansas Society of Physics students seminar series. Contact @wslaton if you are interested in presenting.
- Oakland Nerdnite talk about space physics Dec. 2012 (website or pdf)