Balloon Array for Relativistic Radiation Belt Electron Loss (BARREL)
Although the BARREL mission launched only balloons during the years of 2013 - 2016, research using data collected on these flights is ongoing, so stay tuned for updates!
BARREL was a mission of opportunity under NASA's Van Allen Probes mission. We've now completed two successful campaigns where a total of 40 payloads were launched from Antarctica setting up a slowly moving array able to study the spatial and temporal variations of electron precipitation from the radiation belts. We launched from two stations in Antarctica, the British base Halley Bay and the South African station SANAE IV. We also launched 6 payloads (one twice for a total of 7 launches) from Kiruna Sweden in August 2015 and then launched them again for a total of 8 balloon flights during the August of 2016 from Kiruna Sweden. During the third and fourth campaigns we had coordinated data collection with EISCAT, the Van Allen Probes, and other ground based and space based instruments. By the end of the campaigns, there were over 90 researchers coordinating on a daily basis with the BARREL team working on 7 different satellite missions, 1 other balloon mission, and way too many ground based instruments to count. We thank everyone involved for making this an amazing tour de force of data collection. This was a very exciting campaign, read about it at NASA here .
You can keep up with the BARREL campaign on our blog or via Twitter.
List of publications and presentations associated with the BARREL project:
- Investigating energetic electron precipitation through combining ground‐based and balloon observations
Mark A. Clilverd, Craig J. Rodger, Michael McCarthy, Robyn Millan, Lauren W. Blum, Neil Cobbett, James B. Brundell, Donald Danskin, Alexa J. Halford, (2017) JGR
- EMIC waves and associated relativistic electron precipitaiton on 25-26 January 2013 - J. Zhang, A.J. Halford, A. Saikin, C-L Haung, H. Spence, B. Larsen, G. Reeves, R. Millan, C. Smith, R.Torbert, W. Kurth, C. Kletzig, J. Blake, J. Fennel, D. Baker, (2016) JGR
- BARREL observations of a solar energetic electron and solar energetic proton event - A.J. Halford, S.L. McGregor, M.K. Hudson, R.M. Millan, B.T. Kress, (2016) JGR
- Fall AGU 2015 Summary of precipitation events observed by BARREL during storms. PDF
- Space balloons and charged particles above the Arctic Circle - A. J. Halford
- Observations of coincident EMIC wave activity and dusk-side energetic electron precipitation on 18–19 January 2013 - Blum, L.W., A.J. Halford, R. Millan, J.W. Bonnell, J. Goldstein, M. Usanova, M. Engebretson, M. Ohnsted, G. Reeves, and H. Singer, (2015) GRL
- Global-scale coherence modulation of radiation-belt electron loss from plasmaspheric hiss - Breneman, A., A.J. Halford, R. Millan, M. McCarthy, J. Fennel, J. Sample, L. Woodger, G. Hospodarsky, J.R. Wygant, C.A. Cattell, J. Goldstien, D. Malaspina, C.A. Kletzing, (2015) Nature
- A summary of the BARREL campaigns: Technique for studying electron precipitation - Woodger, L.A., A.J. Halford, R.M. Milan, M.P. McCarthy, D.M. Smith, J.G. Sample, B.Anderson, and the BARREL Team, (2015) JGR - Van Allen Probe Special issue
- Simulation of ULF wave modulated radiation belt electron precipitation during the 17 March 2013 storm - Brito, T., M.K. Hudson, B.R. Kress, J. Paral, A.J. Halford, R. Millian, and M. Usanova, (2015) JGR - Van Allen Probe Special issue
- BARREL observations of an ICME-Shock impact with the magnetosphere and the resultant radiation belt electron loss. - Halford, A.J., S. McGregor, K. Murphy, R.Millan, M. Hudson, L. Woodger, C. Cattell, A. Breneman, I.R. Mann, W. Kurth, G.Hospodarsky, M. Gkioulidou, J. Fennell, (2015) JGR
- My google hangout talk "Space Balloons and Killer Electrons" at the University of Central Arkansas Society of Physics students seminar series. Contact @wslaton if you are interested in presenting.
- New conjunctive CubeSat and balloon measurements to quantify rapid energetic electron precipitation - Blum, L. W., Q. Schiller, X. Li, R. Millan, A. Halford, and L. Woodger, (2013) GRL
- Cluster 2013 conference talk on the BARREL mission (website or pdf)
- History of Ballooning lecture for a space policy class at Dartmouth College May 2013 (website or pdf)
- Oakland Nerdnite talk about space physics Dec. 2012 (website or pdf)
- The Balloon Array for RBSP Relativistic Electron Losses (BARREL) - Millan, R.M., M.P. McCarthy, J.G. Sample, D.M. Smith, L.D. Thompson, D.G. McGaw, L.A. Woodger, J.G. Hewitt, M.D. Comess, K.B. Yando, A.X. Liang, B.A. Anderson, N.R. Knezek, W.Z. Rexroad, J.M. Scheiman, G.S. Bowers, A.J. Halford, A.B. Collier, M.A. Cliverd, R.P. Lin, M.K. Hudson, (2013) Space Science Reviews